Thursday, December 19, 2013

Advent Adventure: Let's Decorate Some Cookies

This weekend, after a sleepover with Nana and Papa, and a sleepover with Grandma, the boys pulled the decorate cookies card from the advent calendar. The Rocky Theme song immediately began playing in my head. Is that strange? We are serious about our cookies around here!

Anyway, I am not going to pretend that I did anything from scratch. I have, it's much more time consuming and I don't have time, so I bought the Pillsbury sugar cookie dough. Then we rolled it out with the flour and the kids cut out the shapes they wanted. Simple and easy.

After baking the cookies and letting them cool, I brought out the sprinkles and candies and store bought cookie icing.

Yup, I didn't even make that. In years past, I have not only made it all from scratch but I also made more than one kind of cookie, as well as the Rolo pretzels, and peppermint bark, and chocolate covered pretzel rods and Oreos...but, you know what? It's not happening this year because I am trying to make things simpler and easier.

The boys love cookie decorating, probably because just as much candy ends up in their stomach as on the cookies.

I have learned that giving them free access to cookie decorations will inevitably and up with piles and piles of sugar crystals and sprinkles dumped on the middle of the cookie. So I divvied up smaller portions in these fun hot dog containers from their birthday party. 

While the craziness of the cookie decorating ensued, the baby calmly and happily took it all in. 
Now that we are done, Ben is trying to decide which cookies we should leave for Santa. The boys do not care that we only decorated sugar cookies, or that all of it was store bought.  Less stress makes my life easier, and all of us happier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment