Monday, November 11, 2013

Running After Baby - Week 3: Running Mantras from a Little Blue Fish

My running mantra this week came from Dory, the little blue fish in Finding Nemo. As I was running I found myself singing, "just keep running, just keep running." Dory's version is about swimming, not running, but whatever. Honestly, I've found myself repeating this little mantra anytime I am feeling overwhelmed, or tired. It reminds me to keep putting one foot in front of the other (literally, when I am running).
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120923014054/pixar/images/f/f9/229279_large.jpg
http://pixar.wikia.com/Dory


I have been feeling a little discouraged about the fact that it is still a constant struggle to get running. I mean I am at week 3. WEEK 3! That magic week when a change in routine is supposed to be set. Honestly, I think I must take a few extra weeks to create a habit because this doesn't feel set.

I know that starting is the hardest part. It is the part of running that I hate the most. It is the most difficult mentally and physically, but it is something that you need to push through. Believe me, I have done it many, many times and it is worth it. I think. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

I know that there will come a time when running 3 or 4 miles will seem like nothing. A time when I will barely break a sweat, or register the pavement moving beneath me. It will be easy. But, unfortunately, that time is not this week. So I just keep plugging along, just keep swimming, in hopes that someday soon it will be easy again.

Advice
1. Just keep swimming (running)... whatever
2. It will get easier
3. Running or walking five minutes is better than nothing so get off your butt and get out there!

Miles run this week: 7.9
Days run: 3
Days walk: 2

Goals for next week:
I realize that since I am running more of the time, I am finishing more quickly. Less than twenty-five minutes of exercise a day just doesn't seem like enough for me. So, my goal for next week is to base my workouts on time instead of my route. I plan to go at least thirty minutes a day and see how far I get. If I feel good I will add a little more.

For getting started and other weeks check out:
Running After Baby - Week 2
Running after Baby - Week 1
Running after Baby - Let's Get it Started

No comments:

Post a Comment