Thursday, October 24, 2013

What to do with a Plethora of Apples: Post Two

A few days ago I told you all about our apple picking trip and the fact that my family and I are now drowning in apples. Here are a few other recipes that I have tried to use up our apples.

Apple chips:
Slice as many apples as you would like very thinly
Lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet
Sprinkle them with apple pie spice
Put them in a 200 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours turning them once after about an hour

**My 6 year old devoured these. They are crispy and pretty yummy. Although, I have a feeling that the fact that they are "chips" has a little to do with it.


Apple Pancakes:
Dice up one or two apples depending on how many pancakes you are making. I used one apple for 6 pancakes.
Put the apples in a bowl with a splash of water and a teaspoon of cinnamon
Microwave the apples for 2 minutes to get them soft
Prepare your favorite pancake mix (that's right, no pancakes made from scratch for me)
Dump the apple mixture into your pancake mix
Make your pancakes as you normally would, or if you have never made them, follow the directions on the box.
**Once again, my kids loved these!

Apple Muffins and Bread
I found this recipe here on food.com. According to the website it is the bread recipe from the Puffin Inn in Ogunquit, Maine (Love Maine!).

I only have one bread loaf pan so I made one loaf of bread and used the rest of the mix to make muffins. Once again, the boys gobbled them up! Maybe they just eat everything??

Sorry for the lack of pictures. The kids literally ate the food before I remembered to take any. I promise to do better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment