Sunday, December 16, 2012

Welcome to the Cookie Factory

Every year I decide to make cookies for the holidays. Seems like a simple decision, right? Let's just say that every year, after the cookies are done, I COMPLETELY regret this "simple decision." I am not sure why, but the cookie making turns into a day-long (sometimes weekend long) event. Unfortunately, I usually end up getting mad annoyed frustrated with my son and sometimes even my husband. Luckily, the goodies are usually delicious so it makes it worth it enough so that I forget the frustrating parts, and only remember the lovely holiday memories by the next December (and stupidly repeat the entire thing again).

In years past my go-to recipe has been simple and ABSOLUTELY delicious Rolo caramel yumminess. (I don't think yuminess is a word, yet we use it constantly in my house.) Here is a recipe - if you can even call it that because it is SO simple - Pretzel Turtle Recipe. Really! All it is is window pane pretzels, Rolos, and pecans. Heat the pretzels with the Rolos on top until they are shiny, take them out of the oven and put the pecans on top. Let them cook and enjoy the amazing sweet, salty goodness. SIMPLE! They are a hit and I recommends them to EVERYONE.
This year, I attempted to be a little bit more adventurous. The first new recipe that I tried was Nutella fudge. This recipe was also simple (are you sensing a trend here?) and also delicious. All it is is sweetened condensed milk, butter, chocolate,  Nutella, and a sprinkle of sea salt at the end. Here is the recipe that I used: Incredible Nutella Fudge
Thanks, "Not Your Mommas Cookie!"




The next "cookie" that I made was a no bake Oreo Chocolate Balls. Once again, absolutely simple. There were all of three ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese, and chocolate. And, since it was no bake, the most time consuming step was melting the chocolate to cover the Oreo balls with. (Yes, I am tee-heeing at the whole balls thing too. It is actually a running joke at my job. Oh, and if it didn't make you giggle, I apologize. That is about where my maturity level it right now.) My son helped make the balls (after washing his hands of course) which was a great and easy way for him to help.

Finally, I made good ole' sugar cookies. This is my son's favorite, so he helped throughout the entire process. Here is where the stress came in, I always decide to go for that second batch, which inevitable takes more than double the time of the first batch, and leads to squabbles among my family. Here are some pics of our process. Sadly, I have not yet decorated the cookies because I needed a break. Something to look forward to tomorrow. :)
Those strange looking cookies are actually Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, and Piglet. I know, strange, but I only have so many cookie cutters. In fact, the circles are actually made out of the rim of a glass. I figured they could look like ornaments, or be a good background for pictures of Christmas trees or snowflakes.
Here is batch #1. At this point I still had six more to go. I think it may be time to invest in a second cookie sheet. Oh, and I was trying to be a little creative by taking out the middles of the circles. I figured that I could always fill the cookies with something (maybe some more Nutella?) and then use the cut out circles for the tops. It may be pretty...

Did anyone try to capture the Christmas spirit this weekend? I know that I did my best to be in the moment and create as many happy memories as I could with my kids. Even when I am completely frustrated, I realize just how lucky I am and am thankful every day.

:) A


No comments:

Post a Comment